Each year, students from all over the world have fun, interesting and career-related summer jobs and internships on Block Island. The key to their success is preparation and an early start in the job search process.
Here are some tips for finding a summer job, internship, or other employment on Block Island in 2019:
- Determine your priorities. Do you want career-related experience? The opportunity to be outside? Funds to support college? Just wanna have fun?
- Develop a resume to emphasize your skills and experience. Remember: your resume will not get you the job: it will get you the interview depending on how you develop it. If you need help with your resume, reach out to me. I can help.
- Create a profile on BlockIslandJobs.com using information from your resume. List the types of Block Island jobs you would be interested in.
- Start contacting employers early. Call, write or e-mail to request information regarding internship and summer job opportunities.
- Be patient as many Block Island businesses close for the winter. It may take a while for someone business owners and managers to get back to you.
- Once you hear back from someone, be prepared for in-person interviews. You may be asked to travel to the island for an interview
- Follow-up all interviews. Always send a thank-you letter or e-mail to the interviewer expressing your appreciation for the interview and your enthusiasm for the opportunity. If you were not granted an interview, follow up your application with a phone call, an e-mail, or even a visit. Your interest and enthusiasm will distinguish you from other job seekers.
- Got the job? Great! Now you’ll need housing. Register with BlockIslandJobs.com to network with other Block Island job seekers to find a roommate or to see if anyone knows of a rental.